Friday, June 19, 2009

Don't

Doctors are human beings just like you and me.They do have family life.They too have private life.They too get tired and hungry.
Most of the patients do not realize this basic fact.Of course they don't need to because they are sick and that is the reason they go to doctors.True.
Once I was eating lunch at a restaurant.An educated man who is a regular of mine joined my table and started showing an infected wound full of pus right there!I am a doctor,no arguing about it but I am a human being too,and I too have sense of hygiene and like to eat in a clean surroundings.He had done the damage.It was a no win situation,protest I am damned keep quiet and the same.I stopped eating and even today if I remember that incident while eating I retch.Please have mercy.
A doctor attends a function like any other man,do not convert the wedding hall into a consulting room.Whenever you have a problem ask him when he will be available.Now that communication is no longer a problem that is the least you can do.
No doubt you pay for his service but remember that you don't own him.
After you think you are well,report your status,for he may continue your treatment for some more days and it is only reasonable that he may want to know what happened with his treatment.
Know his timings. Go well in advance so that he may get out at his appointed hour.It is another matter in emergencies.
I have seen patients coming to me during my lunch hour and claim they were in the vicinity and so dropped in!
If you have a doctor as your neighbor don't go and knock his door at inconvenient times for small problems.Ask him beforehand whether he will see you at home.By going to the house of a doctor except in emergencies puts the doctors' family in danger of catching your disease if it is indeed communicable.I always get mortally afraid when a person with communicable disease comes to my house,especially during examination season as i too have a college going son!
If possible wish your family doctor on important days because he is the last person to come to any one's mind except during an illness.
If you consider your doctor as a human being first,I think he surely will reciprocate and it will be mutually beneficial.
Happy living.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Puttur, Karnataka, India
Medical doctor,arrogant,self centred,can be very helping. Concerned about the falling standards in ethics.Advocate discretion in lifestyle instead of regretting after the fact